Fei Tian Academy of the Arts-Middletown (FTAA-MT) is authorized under United States federal law to enroll eligible non-immigrant middle and high school students under the F-1 category at its campus located in Cuddebackville, New York 12729.
FTAA-MT offers strong ESL programs and academic tutoring for international students.
The Office of International Services (OIS) is designated to help international students with their specific needs, including visa application, visa renewal, and status maintenance. This section outlines basic information concerning application procedure and legal requirements.
Understanding immigration rules and keeping the relevant immigration papers organized and up-to-date can also be a challenge for many newcomers. The Office of International Services provides guidance to international students regarding visa, nonimmigrant status, travel, instructions for entering or leaving the United States, school transfers, extension of stay, change of nonimmigrant status, reinstatement, social security, and any other procedural matters concerning international students.
APPLYING TO FTAA-MT AS AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT
In addition to the normal admission standards and procedures, special considerations listed below apply to international applicants.
Transcripts and pertinent medical records must be translated into English before submission. Other information, such as ESL test scores, that may be helpful in determining the grade level and academic course level placement at FTAA-MT should also be included.
An audition is normally required of all students who apply, including those applying from abroad. However, with prior approval from the Academy for special situations, international applicants may send videos of their performances in lieu of an audition.
English Proficiency – Confidence in Speaking, Reading and Writing
English proficiency is critical for students to succeed in our rigorous program. Though we provide ENL (English as a New Language) support for students, we highly recommend that applicants demonstrate competence in both oral and written English.
We require non-native English speakers to:
• take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) OR other equivalent tests;
• provide a written sample in English, OR the latest grades in the student’s English classes
We conduct a comprehensive interview via Skype with each applicant. During the admission process and orientation, each student who does not meet the minimum English requirement will be asked to take the English Placement Test, which will determine his/her ENL level.
TOEFL (IBT or Junior) or IELTS scores may be required from international students. If you have previously taken a TOEFL or IELTS exam, please submit the score along with a completed application form. To register for the TOEFL (test type here—IBT or Junior), please visit www.ets.org/toefl. When registering, select “Undergraduate” for school type and list (Fei Tian Academy of the Arts) school code (number) so that an official score can be sent to us directly.
International Application Checklist
- General Application 6th to 12th Grade
- Application Fee of $80
- School Report – including transcripts and current grades with translation in English. If the school records are not available, applicants must request a letter certifying the year(s) of school attended.
- Recommendation letter(s)
Academic Program Applicants
- TOEFL exam scores or SSAT scores if any
Dance or Music Program Applicants
The applicant must first submit all items in the International Checklist and submit the following additional items:
- Digital format of recent photos (full length frontal and full length back)
- A photo of the splits in dance or gymnastic attire or other tight-fitting clothes (for dance applicants)
- A photo of a bridge in dance or gymnastic attire or other tight-fitting clothes (for dance applicants)
- A link for an uploaded music piece (for music applicants)
- With prior approval from the Academy for special situations, international applicants may send videos of their performances in lieu of an audition.
Financial Aid Applicants
- Scholarship Application for International Applicants
The applicant must submit an I-20 Application to request a Form I-20 from Fei Tian-Middletown.
Alison Chen, International Student Advisor
(845) 779-0808 ext. 1500
Address: Fei Tian Academy of the Arts, 42 Jason Place, Middletown, NY 10940
For admission related questions, please contact the Admissions Office